Advocacy / Legal Advice
Special Education Advocate One of the SEPAC co-chairs, Craig Haller, is an advocate working in Brookline and many other parts of MA and RI. He has a lot of experience with 504 plans, IEPs, bullying issues, and more. Initial consultations are always free.
Mass Advocates for Children Massachusetts Advocates for Children is a private non-profit organization dedicated to being an independent and effective voice for children who face significant barriers to equal educational and life opportunities.
Special Needs Advocacy Network, Inc. (SPaN) While we are an organization for advocates we also provide parents of children with disabilities a better understanding of the role of an advocate and act as a resource for advocacy services.
Find An Attorney Council of Parent Attorneys and Adovcates (COPPA)
(Please note that these listings include only those attorneys and advocates who are members of COPPA who asked to be included, and Brookline SEPAC does not endorse any of the attorneys listed.)
Disability Law Center The Disability Law Center (DLC) is the Protection and Advocacy agency for Massachusetts. DLC is a private, non-profit organization responsible for providing protection and advocacy for the rights of Massachusetts residents with disabilities. DLC receives federal, state and private funding but is not part of the state or federal government.
External links for Learning Disabilities
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver CenterEunice Kennedy Shriver Center Research, education, and service programs aimed at improving the quality of life for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- A Parent teacher guide to learning disabilitiesA site in Arizona that defines many of the specific types of disabilities along with providing links.
- LD Online
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- All Kinds of Minds
- Families and Advocates Partnership for Education
- Parents Helping Parents Parents Helping Parents pursues its child abuse prevention mission by providing a 24-hour Parental Stress Line and a network of anonymous and confidential Parent Support Groups that meet in many locations throughout Massachusetts.
Specific Learning Disabilities
- Asperger Association of New England Register for newsletters, Phone consultation (617) 393-3824, referrals, seminars. Checkout this link for upcoming events
- Asperger Syndrome Coalition of the US
- Autism Society of America
- Autism Resources
- Center for the Study of Autism
- CAN: Cure Autism Now
- Families for Early Autism Treatment
Deafness and Hearing Impairment
- National Down Syndrome Society Phone# (212) 460-9330, (800) 664-MDSC Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress
- International Dyslexia Association (410) 296-0232
- NAMI: National Alliance for the Mentally 800-950-NAMI x6264
- NIMH: National Institute of Mental Health
Nonverbal Learning Disability
- Tourette Syndrome Association (718) 224-2999 MA Chapter (617) 277-7589
Other links of interest
Businesses that are
Autism Founded/Autism Run
These business are created and run by members of the Autism community and employ people with other disabilities too.